Home

Average Whitetail buck weight

Weight Index Charts for White-tailed Deer in Texas Weight BUCKS Weight DOES Index Fawn 1.5 2.5 3.5 4.5 5.5 6.5 Index Fawn 1.5 2.5 3.5 + 130% 56 92 109 122 137 142 144 130% 48 74 85 90 128% 55 91 108 120 134 140 142 128% 47 73 83 88 126% 54 89 106 118 132 137 140 126% 47 72 82 87 124% 5 White-tailed Deer Weights. Since 1962, average field dressed weights for bucks (harvested during public hunts) of all age classes have increased. These results are a response of rotational grazing, prescribed burning, cedar control, and proper harvest of white-tailed deer and exotics RE: Your average whitetail weight . the average whitetail buck i have shot. in maryland has to be around 175-185lbs.. but all counties are different here. baltimore you have 200+ average an carrollcounty is 140+ average. The weight of white-tailed deer varies by sex, with the male of the species, which is known as a stag or a buck, averaging anywhere from 150 to 300 pounds. Female white-tailed deer, which are referred to as cows or does, weigh anywhere from 90 pounds to 200 pounds An average mature buck typically has eight or more points. Antler Weight: buck 100-200+ lbs; doe 80-160 lbs. Food Green leaves, succulent plants, tender woody vegetation, grasses, acorns, and White-tailed deer are often seen at night feeding in fields or on the side of th

1. I'd say on average a mature buck would weight 170-190 field dressed with very few over that. and most large does 100-120. btw have you seen how turkey's have grown since check stations went awa
  2. The typical Northern whitetail fawn, which includes button bucks, weighs about 55 to 75 pounds field dressed, while a healthy doe fawn weighs 45 to 65 pounds field dressed. Southern fawns weigh less — in fact, sometimes less than 30 pounds field dressed
  3. Hunting Debate: What is an Average Whitetail Buck? Research shows that most bucks are 8-pointers, like this one killed by Wyatt Reinhardt of New Hampshire, once they get to age 3 or older. No matter what part of the country or older age class, the 8-point buck comprises most of the antler makeup — which is fine with most hunters
  4. In Ohio, it will vary in body weight depending on the area and food source. Where I am located a mature buck will weigh 175-300 lb. I shot the biggest buck of my bowhunting career that scored 208 non-typical, but due to the rut, he was lucky to weigh 180 lb
  5. Weight range of adult whitetail bucks: 50-511 lb. Average weight of a 3 1/2-year-old Nebraska whitetail buck: 217 lb. Average weight of the blood and entrails of a 217-lb. buck: 42 lb. Average.
  6. A male deer is referred to as a buck, and a female a doe. In Pennsylvania, the average adult buck weighs about 140 pounds and stands 32 to 34 inches at the shoulder. He is about 70 inches long from the tip of his nose to the base of his tail. His tail vertebrae add only about 11 inches, but the long hair makes it far more conspicuous
  7. g lots of food. Dressed weight will likely be in the 150 range

TPWD: Deer Weight

1. Just guessing, we have a wide range of sizes here where I hunt. I have shot bucks that I am sure would field dress well over 250 pounds and some that would struggle to make 210 pounds. If I had to guess, the average 4 to 5 year old buck here would field dress in the 225 to 240 range. I don't even have a scale
  2. The white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus), also known as the whitetail or Virginia deer, is a medium-sized deer native to North America, Central America, Ecuador, and South America as far south as Peru and Bolivia. It has also been introduced to New Zealand, all the Greater Antilles in the Caribbean (Cuba, Jamaica, Hispaniola, and Puerto Rico), and some countries in Europe, such as the.
  3. Very rare to get a buck weighing over 125#. At my folks ranch, with supplemental feeding, the average live weight for all whitetail deer is below 100#. Those southern deer will bring your average down. Would say closer to the 100# mark for all deer across the country
  4. Deer hunting Deer hunting whitetail deer hunting Our average buck weight is 250+ pounds. Whitetail deer are the most sought after hunting trophy in the world, even though they are the smallest of the deer family. Our bucks on average weigh 250+ pounds. There is a limited number of whitetail deer at Hartland. The most [
  5. I usually weigh my deer with guts in and most of the ones I have killed have been 3-4 yr old bucks with weights ranging from 208 pounds - 291 pounds. Again, that is with guts in. Luckybuck, Dec 20, 2010 #1
  6. A heavy beam is a good indication of a mature buck. Young deer tend to be spindlier and don't carry as much weight. Ted's Guidelines Ted, who has some good guidelines for hunters to follow to be successful, says, An average buck's frame—inside spread, main beam length times two, and eight mass measurements—average 90 to 95 inches
  7. This is the heaviest whitetail deer ever killed. It broke the 50-year record held by the #2 Spot! This deer is one of the biggest that I have ever seen and one that could hold the record for a very long time! Field Dressed Weight: 431-Lbs. Estimated Weight On Hoof: 540-Lbs. Ontario, 197

Your average whitetail weight

Most deer hunters field dress their game prior to bringing it in from the field. This process usually involves removing the entrails, reproductive tract, heart, lungs, diaphragm and part of the esophagus. As a result, the only weight many hunters obtain for their deer is a field-dressed weight, leaving the whole weight of their quarry unknown White-Tailed Deer (Odocoileus virginianus), also known as Virginia deer, is a common American deer species that ranges from the Arctic Circle in western Canada to Ecuador, Peru, and Bolivia. The White-Tailed Deer is named for the thick white fur on the underside of the neck and the rear. White-Tailed Deer have standing shoulder heights between 2'8-3' (81-91 cm), head-to-body lengths in the.

How Much Does an Average Deer Weigh? - Reference

1. 80,258 Posts. #2 · Oct 14, 2011. My son and I hunt north Arkansas, just a few miles south of the MO state line. Nutrition isn't the best and they don't have the quality of food that delta deer do. We weight every deer we shoot. The average live weight of the bucks we shoot is 150-175# and the live weight of the does seems to average ~125#
  2. South Texas White-tailed Deer Harvest Data. Wildlife district personnel collect deer age and antler data in selected south Texas counties each hunting season. Periodically, field dressed weights will be recorded also. The deer are aged using the accepted tooth replacement/wear technique, weighed if appropriate, and antler measurements recorded.
  3. The deer populations before 1775 were healthy and stable because of good food and cover. Numbers were kept in control by predators such as the wolf and cougar as well as the American Indians. White-tailed Deer was an important meat source for American Indians. As during prehistoric times natives used deer for many purposes
  4. Average Weight: female 100 to150 pounds, male 150 to 250 pounds . While white-tailed deer generally see in shades of gray, they are able to distinguish shades of blue, yellow, and green; they are less able to distinguish in the orange and red wavelengths
  5. At my folks ranch, with supplemental feeding, the average live weight for all whitetail deer is below 100#. Bill responds, Greg, You are in Illinois, so that must be factored in. The average weight can go up by about twenty pounds or so depending on the area you're hunting in, but whitetail really aren't that large of an animal. The white-tailed deer is the most prevalent species present.
  6. Yearling bucks generally weigh about 20% less and have 50% smaller antlers than they would as a 2.5-year-old. The primary reason New York doesn't have more older, larger-antlered bucks in the harvest is because many get taken as yearlings. But the good news is that this is changing and hunters are now taking more older buck than ever before

• Whitetail Venison Yield Chart • Deer Processing and Venison Donation Search Site: Venison Yield Chart for Whitetail Deer. These yields are estimated. Actual yields will vary based on thoroughness and efficiency in the butchering process. Girth (in inches) Live Weight (in lbs) Field Dressed (in lbs) Edible Meat (in lbs) 24: 55: 38: 28. months of life. Adult males reach an average weight of around 240 to 265 pounds at about four and one- half years of age while adult females average 140 to 160 pounds. The largest deer ever reported in Iowa was a 440-pound buck taken in Monona County during the 1962-hunting season. Antlers are normally found only on males and a ne

Whitetail Buck Deer Big Antler Rack Mountain | Animal

What does the avg. mature buck truly weigh? Missouri ..

Average Size Length: about 3 ft. Height: about 3 ft.. at the shoulder Weight: buck 100-200+ lbs;doe 80-160 lbs. Food Green leaves, succulent plants, tender woody vegetation, grasses, acorns, and agricultural crops Breeding Male deer, called bucks, will mate with several female deer. Female deer, called does, may mate with one or more males Live Weight = Edible Meat Weight * 2.27. Live Weight = 50 * 2.27. Live Weight = 113.5 Lbs. That translates to meat yield being about 44% of the Live Weight which is very true. I have weighed freshly harvested deer and weighed the meat yielded. 44% give or take 1% in the very extreme is usually true

An average whitetail buck weighs about 150 pounds and is not particularly tough to kill. While any legal caliber from .223 Rem. to .458 Win. Mag. will work, it doesn't mean they're all ideal. I consider the minimum bonafide whitetail caliber to be .243 Winchester and the maximum to be 7mm Rem. Mag. Anything larger is undue wear on your. Many, if not most, deer hunters and deer managers want to harvest bucks with large antlers. Antler size and corresponding antler score typically increase as a buck ages. In many areas, buck age is the factor that most limits antler size of male white-tailed deer even though nutrition and genetics also play important roles Veteran Tracker. K. Joined: May 2009. Posts: 2,216. average doe weight is 115 (range 95 to 145) average buck weight is around 190 (range 160 to 235) we weigh every single deer as soon as it's in from the field. This is in Mcmullen county. Last edited by kyle1974; 12/04/10 12:57 AM

How Much Meat is On 1 Deer? Deer and Deer Huntin

Using this guide as an example, a 180-pound buck would have 16.2 pounds of hide, 21.06 pounds of bones and 9 pounds of blood. Unfortunately, it's difficult to estimate the live weight of a deer if it has been field-dressed because the weight of a deer's innards varies depending on its health and diet Biological surveys show that the average age of deer taken by hunters at Caswell is 1½ years. That is not old enough for a buck's antlers to reach trophy size. But, the big bucks are still there, Hannah says. We run cameras to monitor the feral pig population and I have seen deer with 140- and 150-class antlers on camera images After field-dressing, the average deer weighs between 75 and 125 pounds. You probably won't want to eat the head, feet, hide, or bones. You'll also want to trim off the fat. Bottom line: On average, slightly less than half of a deer's field-dressed weight will be lean, boneless meat. For a 120-pound deer, figure about 55 pounds

On average, a 3 ½-year-old buck totes antlers that express roughly 75 percent of his potential at maturity. Savvy deer managers track this trend and employ herd- and habitat-management actions that seek to maximize the percentage of 3 ½-year-old and older bucks in the harvest For the survey, an antler projection must be at least 12 millimeters from base to tip to qualify as a point. Collecting age, weight and antler data annually on an individual ranch can provide valuable insight into progress, or lack thereof, in attaining deer herd quality goals established under a deer management program Bucks: weigh 160 pounds 11.7%. Grovel: ( weigh 100 pounds) 6%. Grown-up doe: ( weigh 140 pounds) 5%. Grown-up buck (weigh 160 pounds) 5%. Bucks: weigh 160 pounds 5%. Making use of this guide, for instance, an 180-pound deer would possess 16.2 pounds of skin and 21.06 pounds of bones. Sadly, it's hard to evaluate the actual weight of a whitetail. The average doe is between 120-160. The average buck runs from 100-180. Reason for such a low weight is too many outsiders on public land. They take deer way to soon. Average age for a buck in my area is 2.5. sucks hugh

Not surprisingly, outfitters and game agencies in states with reputations for producing trophy deer charge more than those in states that don't share that big-buck glow. At an average cost of $4,201, hunters will fork over the most money to hunt deer in Illinois, followed by Texas ($4,065), Kansas ($3,830), Nebraska ($3,800), and Iowa ($3,633) his body weight due to increased activity and decreased food con-sumption. Physical Characteristics. 5 Yearling bucks showing classic doe with antler body characteristics and the varied antler size found in this age class. 11 The average size of a buck's A mature buck is no joke, and their shoulders alone can cause an immense amount of heartbreak in the bowhunter who happens to shoot into one. Personally, I'm of the opinion that since my shots are going to be within 40 yards (often 20) and that it's best to plan for what can go wrong as opposed to what can go right, it's best to opt for. Wisconsin Whitetail Deer - When they are running away from predators, whitetail deer have the ability to run at high speeds & jump very high fences. Their legs look like springs when they jump. Whitetailed deer are very strong animals. Their bodies allow them to survive through different types & conditions of habitats

Hunting Debate: Just What is an Average Whitetail Buck

Allen, E. O. 1965. Food and range use habits of whitetail deer on Missouri River bottomlands in Northcentral Montana. M.S. Thesis. Montana State University, Bozeman. 41 pp. Allen, E. O. 1965. White-tailed deer food habits, and relationships to mule deer, livestock and agriculture on Missouri River bottoms. Big Game Res. Proj. W-98-R-5 Final Rep. The nose, a small area on the chin, and the upper surface of the tail are black. Adults are about 71 inches in total length, and 39 in in shoulder height. The average weight of an adult male is 203 lb (maximum, 405 lb). The average weight of a female is about 155 lb (maximum, 218 lb) Deer vary in size depending upon the region. This is related to soil fertility, which provides the nutrient base for the plant communities that deer feed on. Average Height: 3 to 4 feet tall at the shoulder. Average Weight: female 100 to150 pounds, male 150 to 250 pounds . Coat open/close accordion + By November the average whitetail male fawn will weigh close to 80 to 85 pounds, and the female fawn will weigh 75 to 80 pounds. As the spots disappear, the fawn's coat also changes from its reddish color to a grayish winter coat. The buck fawn's face grows a bit darker in color but the belly remains white. If you're looking for whitetail. The average weight can go up by about twenty pounds or so depending on the area you're hunting in, but whitetail really aren't that large of an animal. Bigger bucks can weigh up to three hundred pounds, of course, but despite the tall tales of hunters these fabled bucks aren't the kind you'll be bringing in every season, especially as a.

4 1/2 Year Old Whitetail Deer. After 3 1/2 it gets much harder to tell the exact age in the field, but it is still very possible. 4 1/2 is the age most management systems believe that hunters should harvest bucks. At this age, bucks are very developed throughout the body and they are in their prime Deer may live to 20 years or more in captivity, but in the wild, a 10 year old white-tailed deer is considered old. Weights vary considerably, but an average adult male weighs 175 pounds while a female weighs 120 pounds. Deer are fast runners reaching speeds up to 35 mph and can jump more than 8 feet

However, in these counties the average age of bucks is much higher and trophy bucks are more common. A 5 « year old buck in southern West Virginia averages 11 points with a spread of 19 inches. Weights-Weight of deer is the most useful indicator of herd health. Average weights can be used to compare age and sex classes In this manner, what is the average width of a whitetail deer? Quote: The average whitetail stands between 36 and 40 inches high at the top of the shoulder. Especially big bucks may be 42 inches high. They have a total length of between 60 to 75 inches and an average weight of about 150 pounds.. Likewise, what is the length of a whitetail deer Determining Deer Weight: Large or small, a deer loses an average of 23 per cent of its body weight when field dressed, and about another 17- to 25 per cent when hide, head, and lower legs are removed. This butcher-ready weight is a higher percentage of whole body weight for larger animals Yearling bucks average 150 pounds, while does of the same age average about 20 percent less, or about 120 pounds. Some older bucks weigh 200 pounds or more when field dressed (about 250 pounds live weight) and the heaviest Nebraska whitetail on record was 287 pounds field dressed (about 355 pounds live weight) Why Maine Whitetail Deer Are So BIG! Northern Maine has some of the most extraordinary trophy whitetail deer hunting in the United States. There are very few areas in the world that contain more 200 pound-plus bucks per square mile than the North Woods of Maine

Average size deer in your state Welcome to the Taxidermy

Fascinating Buck Facts - Field & Strea

Deer weight

White-tailed Deer Wildlife Note - Game Commissio

Weight of a 2 1/2 Year-Old-Buck - Midwest Whitetai

Don't Wait for Good Weather. To kill a big buck two months before the rut, you'll need to rethink what you know about whitetails. For starters, weather plays an entirely different role. During November, the colder it is, the better. During September, cold fronts don't carry the same weight. Sure, they are nice to hunt and will get. A classic example: This average Maine whitetail buck displayed no reaction to a solid hit beyond its final 80-yard dash. Dressed weight was 160 pounds. The .243 Winchester 100-grain Power-point clipped off the top of the heart. No telling how far he would've gone with a .22LR Generally speaking, the average midwestern whitetail buck is smaller-bodied than the average Rocky Mountain mule deer buck of the same age. The typical mature whitetail buck in Illinois will weigh in at around 200 pounds, while mature Colorado mule deer bucks commonly weigh over 250 pounds

gjsmsvirtualzoo [licensed for non-commercial use only

Body Weight of the Bucks we Shoot - Midwest Whitetai

Hanging Weight is the field dressed deer minus the head, feet and hide. Edible Meat Weight will vary depending upon: How the deer is processed and How many times the deer was shot and what part(s) of the deer was shot. For Example, if the whole deer is boned out completely, you will receive approximately 50% to 60% of the Hanging Weight in. Whitetail Deer. Contributors to this thread: Rob in VT 27-Jul-07. gutpile picture shows how big his rack really is now remember this is a 4 1/2 year old buck and probably weighs about 225 live weight thats about the average for this area for a buck that age . From: Dan. you will rarely see a twenty inch spread on a 120's net whitetail. I would say that on an average mule deer buck the boned meat ends up to be about 55% of carcass weight, with larger bucks tending to go a bit higher in percentage than smaller. I base that number on weighing the carcasses and then boned meat on a fair sample of deer, as we cut up somewhere between 6-10 deer a year and have been doing that for. For fawns, does and yearling bucks, dressed weight is 75% of live weight. For 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 year-old bucks, dressed weight is 80% of live weight. For mature bucks, dressed weight is 82% of live weight. I always had a higher 'meat weight' when processing my own cause I cut every piece of edible meat off the bones

Keep the Motor Running: How Whitetail Deer Survive in the

The weight of Ontario whitetail bucks can reach above 136kg (300lbs). However, mature, healthy bucks on average weigh between 63kg and 114kg (140lbs and 250lbs), bucks usually being larger than does. April is when antlers start appearing on bucks Average Whitetail Buck Weight vs Latitude in Maine by Wildlife Management District (WMD). This graph was generated from Data supplied by Maine Inland Fisheries and Wildlife. Having pockets of deer in the Northwoods that are superior to other pockets is unlikely. This is because bucks travel far during the rut to breed does The average live weight for adult males in Tennessee is 140 pounds, and average the live weight size for females is 100 pounds. Sexually mature males, known as bucks, grow antlers in the spring/summer of each year. Antlers are vascular extensions of the skull covered with hairy skin, called velvet, during the growing period

White-tailed deer - Wikipedi

Hunting Facts » Team Whitetail Alberta10 Whitetail Deer Facts That Hunters Really Need to Know10 Things Most Hunters Don't Know About Whitetail Deer

It was clear that the buck had been dead awhile, and it was later determined the buck had died of Blue Tongue, a common whitetail disease. That next March, Adam dragged the rack and skull to the Iowa deer classic, and the buck was scored at 272 3/8 inches and was estimated to be 6 1/2 years old Whitetail deer are generally smaller in average weight, averaging around 90-220 pounds, but those big bucks can, in rare cases, come in near 400 pounds. With size varying so much based on diet, age, and location, it is impossible to tell a whitetail from a mule deer based on size alone Florida Bullfrog said: Average mature buck weight for a deer on the peninsula is 120-140lbs. Not very many good bucks come off of public land. They are present but very hard to see due to surviving many years of hunting and poaching pressure. The deer hunting in North Florida is superior to South Florida On average adult does have about 1.8 fawns per year in New Hampshire. In general, the average dressed weights of adult females and males in New Hampshire are about 112 and 139 pounds respectively. Live weights are estimated to be approximately 30% higher than dressed weights. The weight of individual deer is dependant on age and nutrition bu The average whitetail buck has ears that are six and 1/2 to seven inches long. When viewing a buck, compare the length of the points to the length of the ear. This is the best way to get an idea how long the points are