Home

How long does a timing chain last

In a perfect world, where one executes perfect maintenance work and oil is changed on a regular basis, the timing chain should last the lifetime of the engine. But usually, the timing chain by average will need to be replaced after going 80,000 to 120,000 miles unless you encounter an untoward problem A: As a general rule, if an engine has a timing chain and the oil was changed on a regular basis, the timing chain should last the lifetime of the engine. Timing chains can fail prematurely if the..

The manual for the Volkswagen Jetta says that you can keep your timing belt until 120,000 miles. According to the US Department of Transportation, the average driver in America travels 13500 miles per year. At that rate, A timing belt should last between 4.4 years and 7.4 years worth of travel In theory (given appropriate maintenance, of course) it should last the life of the motor. But like any chain, it will stretch over time. But, again, unless you're having timing issues, it likely isn't an issue. RedWings44, Feb 9, 202 Normally the timing chain will be designed to last a car's lifetime, and will not need to be replaced at a recommended service interval. In some cases, despite not needing regular maintenance, a timing chain can wear to the point that it has to be replaced. Often this will be due to wear caused by other parts that are connected to the chain Timing chains last longer than belts but you still need to check them. the typical faults that i have seen on chains is the auto tensioner tends to stick or not take up enough slack....one of my first mods on every motorcycle engine is to get rid of the factory chain tensioner and change it out for a manual adjuster

Timing chains do not require any dedicated maintenance. However, changing your engine oil regularly will help extend the life of the chain and all other internal engine components. Shannon Kavonius • 9 months ago Absolute Truth....Very Well Sai In a well-maintained engine, a timing chain can last up to 300,000 miles or even longer If your balls to wall all the time I can see how your timing chain wouldn't last long, nor the engine in general for that matter. My boys (classic Chevys) have gotten me into some relaxed driving habits to the point I haven't received a traffic citation in 15 years, so I should be alright. Except now I have a car with a working radio that's. Timing is an essential aspect of car motor operation. One of the most important components when it comes to regulating the timing of your engine is the timing chain. While timing chains can last for a long time, they do eventually wear out. However, before they break, they usually loosen

How Long Does a Timing Chain Last

The timing chain lasts at least as long as the engine does before the entire engine needs a major overhaul. Only then is the timing chain usually replaced Around every 60,000 miles. The timing belt (or chain) is the sole component that keeps the camshaft (make that camshafts on a DOHC or V-type OHC engine) and crankshaft in sync

WHEN SHOULD I REPLACE MY TIMING CHAIN. HOW LONG TIMING CHAIN LASTSMany of you asked us how often timing chain needs to be replace and how long timing chains. The timing chain is comprised of a series of links in the chain - similar to those found on a bicycle chain. The links move on the toothed sprockets which are located on the ends of the crankshaft and camshaft and are responsible for opening and closing valves in the cylinder head and moving pistons and connecting rods in the combustion chamber Honda's Timing Chain is DESIGNED to last the LIFE of the engine. Time to send it to a dealers service department so that you car see if Honda will goodwill and repair/replace your engine for free. Contact 1-800-999-1009 with your VIN number in hand to talk to Honda about this issue. Honda only specifies changing timing BELTS Which is better timing chain or belt? Most automakers recommend replacing the timing belt every 60,000 to 105,000 miles. Timing chains are heavier and more complex than timing belts, but they also last much longer. Like timing chains, timing gears are strong, accurate and last a long time. Do timing chains need to be replaced The timing chain normally needs to be replaced between 80,000 and 120,000 miles unless there is a specific problem. Issues with the chain are common in higher mileage vehicles. If driving an older vehicle, or one with close to 100,000 miles, it is recommended to look for symptoms of the timing chain going bad or failing

It usually goes away after a few seconds. Apparently the timing chain tensioner is hydraulically operated off engine oil pressure. In the good old days they used to fit a check valve in the oil feed to the tensioner so that it didn't back off when the engine stopped A timing chain synchronizes the rotation of the crankshaft and camshaft (s) ensuring proper value timing. When does a timing chain need to be replaced? The timing chain normally needs to be replaced between 80,000 and 120,000 miles unless there is a specific problem. Issues with the chain are common in higher mileage vehicles How Long Should a New Timing Chain Last? Most vehicle manufacturers say that the timing chain should last the lifetime of an engine. Since engines made today are designed to last way over 100,000 miles (there are some cars where their engines last 1 million miles) Why Toyota Timing Chains last longer than other cars does The labor time for the replacement of timing chains on this engine is around 13 hours. The average labor cost per hour is $80 (around $120 at the dealer). The parts for the replacement (chains, guides, tensioners, gaskets, fluids, etc.) will cost another $450-500

The timing chain normally needs to be replaced between 40,000 and 100,000 miles unless there is a problem. Issues with the chain are pretty common in high mileage vehicles, so if you are driving. Timing chains were the norm for cars produced in the 1970s and 1980s but then timing belts took over. However, they have been more widely used in recent years as they are more durable than timing belts. A timing chain is a roller chain and you will find it at the front of the engine A bad timing chain will often emit a rattling sound for a few minutes before the engine warms up, and then will lower in intensity or dissipate altogether after it warms up. Step 2 With the engine warm and idling, place the blade of a slot screwdriver with a very long-handled shank against the uppermost portion of the timing chain cover

Car Doctor: Timing chains should last as long as the

1. g chains, heads and other deep dive into the block, you can expect to keep it on the road a longtime
  2. g belt is an important component of the car's engine, negligence may result in serious consequences, a most likely major accident so it is important to know how long your ti
  3. g chains last? In a well-maintained engine, a ti
  4. g chain will last the life of the engine. However, they can stretch, tensioners can fail and so on. As far as a specific time or mileage from a maintenance guide, there isn't one

Re: Life expectancy of a Timing Chain. The only issues I have ever seen on the ls motors timing components are a result of huge cams. The ls3 style tensioner system can break with big thumping cams and the ls1 style cam sprocket bolts have been known to back out. Stock stuff seems to hold up great How Long Does a Timing Chain Last? Do timing chains need to be replaced? The simple answer here is yes. You see, while a timing chain is built to last for a very long time, it will need to be replaced at some point, usually after 150,000 miles Can you tell me how long a timing chain should last on a 3 series 62 plate. 318d f30. N47N engine. Expert: Steve replied 3 years ago. They are intended to last the life of the car but often fail around 80000 miles. Please let me know if you have further questions

Can a Timing Belt Last 200,000 Miles? - Here's What You

Then, a timing chain tensioner does as you may think — keeps the chain under the correct tension. Generally a spring loaded mechanism operates the tensioner. And to keep the engine timing chain from vibrating, rails, and chain guides help keep it quiet. How a Mercedes timing chain works relates to the performance level of the motor A timing belt will need to be replaced more often than a timing chain, but they tend to be quieter. Timing chains typically last longer, but they also have the potential to cause a lot more damage to your engine if they do fail. When should I change my timing belt on a Honda Accord? The timing belt on a Honda Accord generally needs to be. Timing chains do go bad, but they last a long time. Timing belts typically are replaced at 60K or 90K miles for example. Depends on the vehicle manufacturer, and a lot of them are going away from belts and back to chains

The chain doesn't have to be replaced. The chain guides and hydraulic tensioners will have problems before the chain. If/when the guides/tensioners need service then change the chains. You have a problem when there is a rattling from the timing chains that doesn't go away after a minute or two. 0 I did have the timing chain guides replaced at approximately 96k miles due to a whining issue and it has been running fine since. In the past, I have owned a Nissan Maxima which required replacement of the timing belt every 60k miles to avoid catastrophic engine failure which I followed for 19 years and it ran perfectly even to the day that I. 2,838 Posts. #4 · Oct 10, 2016. Modern kevlar reinforced timing belts for petrol and diesel engine have a usable life of around 100k. Timing chains can last as long as the car! But not in all cases as paulw123 says they wear sprockets aswell as the chain so I would do it every 150k as precautionary maintenance 14. 14 bronze badges. Add a comment. |. 3. BMW timing chains are engineered for the life of the engine and never need maintenance or replaced. To prove that point BMW has always performed several long distance tests on its new engines before they are put on the market 11,304 Posts. #2 · Nov 28, 2019. While timing chains last a LOT longer than belts, they DO stretch with the miles. They won't snap and damage the engine as a timing belt would. Honda engines where the oil level has been allowed to get low repeatedly, have been known to suffer from stretched timing chains

Timing chains, how long do they last? Tacoma Worl

IF your Toyota has a timing chain (my 2007 has one) you don't worry about changing it; with a proper oil change schedule it will last a very long time and will get noisy long before it breaks. Toyota has no special schedule for change out in its owners' manuals I do know that the chains and components are the same from 07 up to 2017 for both the LLT and LFX and that from what I read a number of timing chain failures were associated with cars being run low on oil because of a combination of some using oil through the PCV system, or manufacturing bad luck combined with an extended oil change interval. Carbon Build-up. Timing Chain. Ignition System. As we sort of mentioned above, the top two problems mostly affect the 1st gen 3.5 EcoBoost engine. Ford did a great job at updating some of the weaker points with the 2nd gen engine. Again, the 3.5 EcoBoost really is a solid, reliable engine overall Don't wait until the last minute to fix the timing chain. Your check engine light may illuminate. The check engine light can turn on for many reasons, but one of the reasons can be to warn you of a problem with the timing chain. When the check engine light is on,. Changing the chain will reduce the tapping noise for a while but it will come back after a few 1000 miles, due to the chain tensioner design being vauxhall is utterly useless. But if you do decide to get the chain done, make sure they do the water pump at the same time as its cost effective. M

Timing belts are made out of rubber and nylon, unlike a timing chain which looks a lot like a bicycle chain. Here's more on a timing chain vs a timing belt. For all intents and purposes, they create the same symptoms when they go bad. Timing belts are not that common. You're much more likely to find a timing chain in cars and trucks than belts Re: How long does a Timing chain last on a 95 BMW 318i? I believe 150k or 200k. can't remeber. it should be in your owners manual. If u r worried about it breaking or stretching u should replace it and not risk. Posted on Aug 21, 2009 But if you regularly maintain your oil, a lubricated timing chain shouldn't give you much trouble for 120,000+ miles and can last for upwards of 300,000+ miles. Even with proper maintenance, the timing chains in many of GM's 2007-2010 2.8L and 3.6L V6 engines are susceptible to stretching

Michael919. Welcome! Thousands have. Lots of threads on it here, including a sticky. Check that you have had the recall, which was a service campaign for free timing chain replacement by Nissan where 105,000 2011 to 2013 Juke's were eligible. The campaign has expired, but you should check if your was ever done With proper lubrication a timing chain should last the life of the engine. I've never seen a timing chain wear out and reused the original timing chain when I rebuilt a 22R. No problems. cosmicfires, Apr 20, 2015 #7. Apr 20, 2015 at 11:28 AM #8 #8. DJB1 Well-Known Member. Joined: Jun 8, 2013 Member: #105835 Messages: 2,155 Gender: Mal Barring timing chain failure, overheating (blown hoses or failed fans), or lack of lubrication (hole in the oil pan), these engines will typically go at least 300,000 miles. I have a 1997 with over 300K miles on it—it uses zero oil, makes no noise, and literally runs like it did when it was brand new

When Should I Replace My Timing Chain? - ClickMechanic

Don't worry about the life of the engine, it will be plenty long. Worry about how long the transmission will last. Some XC90's have problems with one of the sets of planetary gears in the transmission. Does the 2005 t6 Volvo xc90 have a timing chain or belt? Thanks, 2005 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD-General I have an '05 that I bought 3 years ago with 119,000 on the clock. I now have 146,000 and it is going strong. I do have the cam phaser tap noise but I have no plans to do that work until it gets much worse. My dealer said if I keep doing regular oil changes it will last for a long time I then get the nightmare call from the service department Mr. Joseph your engine sustained damage from the broken timing chain and your engine will have to be replaced at a cost of $9800.00. Now here is my dilemma I currently owe $19,000.00 on my vehicle and my milage is is currently at 126000 thousand due to my travels to and from the east cost Treated well, the average Chevrolet Impala can last 150,000 miles easily. However, reports from owners suggest you can get more miles from an Impala — up to 200,000 miles or more. You may need to replace key components like the water pump, transmission, and timing chain at 150,000 miles Used 2.9's runs ~ $1000+, the one on Car-parts near you is a good price for 98k motor. Spend $3k on timing chain and have a 12/12k warrantee. Spend $4k plus change for a short block . GM 19169323 3yr/36k warrantee

3.5L Ecoboost Timing Chain Replacement Last Modified : Mar 30, 2021. The 3.5L EcoBoost is great engine with a few problematic complaints. These engines come buried inside the F150, Explorer, and Taurus have been experiencing little growing pains. I mean that literally - the timing chains are stretching causing all sorts of problems The average cost for a Ford Taurus timing chain and gear set replacement is between $539 and $661. Labor costs are estimated between $468 and $591 while parts are priced at $71. This range does not include taxes and fees, and does not factor in your specific model year or unique location. Related repairs may also be needed Sequoias produced from 2001 to 2009 with 4.7 V8 engines need to have timing belts changed when the odometer hits 90k miles. Owners of Sequoias from 2008 and beyond with a 5.7 V8 have chains, as do 4.6 V8 Sequoias from 2010 to 2012. Venza. All Venzas manufactured from 2009 to the present day have a chain, so don't stress about the belt. Tundr The tension of this timing chain is controlled by tensionsers. Timing chain, then, is a heavily engineered component. It will last a very long time. It may as well last the lifetime of the engine depending on the model. The only downfall is that when these chains fail, they lead to pretty serious damages inside the engine

How long can you expect a timing chain to last? Focus

1. g chain systems somewhere north of 100,000 miles. The main components of the Toyota 22R series engine ti
  2. g chain on any Toyota model. There's no service interval to answer your question. Your chain can stretch but again I've never had to replace one. I do know other techs have though
  3. g chain fault (and the giveaway that the problem is im
  4. g chain and there is not a belt to break. Change the oil regularly, check the other fluids and consider changing them one at a time
  5. g chain usually last. I heard the entire life of the car but not.

Video: When to Replace the Timing Chain on Your Vehicle - In The

Kia Soul Timing Overview (All Model Years) From 2012 -2021 Kia Souls have a timing chain and interference engine. From 2010 -2011 1.6L Kia Souls have a timing chain and interference engine while the 2.0L has a timing belt and interference engine. Scroll down for detailed information on your particular model year In some cases, a bad alternator clutch (yes, the new alternators have clutches) can cause this. In the situation that your tensioners are to blame, expect to spend from $1000 to $1500 to have them replaced and should include new upper (secondary) timing chains. 3) Yet another buzzing, rattling or whinning noise SodaSlaughter. 8 points · 8 years ago. Timing chains are not designed with a specific maintenance interval and are supposed to last the life of the motor. That being said, the 2.4 quad 4 is known to have guide failures and the chains themselves are known to break. The quad 4 was plagued with reliability problems in general Dumb question but does the engine have a timing chain or belt.. Jump to Latest Follow The gears will run for a long long time unless something happens to damage them. No stretched chain to allow timing to slip. well, there aren't a whole lot of downsides, in general it will last much longer than a chain or belt driven system, it is very.

News of the Week: News of the Week Announcements

When does the timing chain need to be replaced

1. g Chains. Roller ti
  2. g chain), the dealer performed the 120,000 miles service. So, the ti
  3. g chains last many hundreds of thousands of Km's (Miles). They should have an automatic tensioner and slippers that will need to be replaced at certain intervals. If you have your original service book it will tell you when to change the ti
  4. g chain. I don't know of one person that has had a chain failure
  5. g chain. It's supposed to last until the engine needs a rebuild. Mine runs fine too. You can do a search on the ti
  6. g chain? you replace the chain when it becomes stretched/worn to the point that the tensioner can no longer keep it tight. The way you check this is you blip the throttle when you head us under the hood and you ears are over at the passenger side
  7. g chain setup in the 3.6L V6 that I have (3 chains, 3 pulleys, 4 cams, 4 spring-loaded tensioners, 3 oil-pressurized tensioners), this car ran to 94K miles before a connecting rod failed, and the engine that took its place has gone 43K and there are still no issues with the chains

Life Expectancy Of A Timing Chain Mercedes-Benz Foru

Signs of a Stretched Timing Chain It Still Run

1. g chains are not suppose break with only 30,000 to 40,000 miles on the odometer. We could be entirely wrong in our opinion, that a harmonic disturbance within the engine is the cause of the ti
  2. g Chain Tensioner failure on your V8 Audi? Call us today 908-223-7477. Having the right tools to do the job is crucial as it ensures proper repair, and efficient turn around time for our.
  3. Mazda is one, as believe it or not they had massive cam-chain issues because of long intervals. There was a problem early on, 2007/08 but find me a snapped chain since 2011? Noisy yes, but not.
  4. g is out, the engine becomes noisy and doesn't run properly. It can also result in engine failure. Ti
  5. g chain last on a 2006 sentra. How long does a ti
  6. g chain. Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now! My father owns a 2010 B8 Audi S4 with around 35.000mi on it. The dealership he is taking his car into tomorrow said he is due for a ti
  7. Not sure how long they say a chain should last. A belt, which generally doesn't last a long is usually good for 60,000+ miles, so I would guess that the chain should last at least as long. It probably can't be e xp ected to last the lifetime of the engine as it is a moving part and will wear and also stretch (as chains do)

Timing chains- Jeep Wrangler Foru

What sort of lifespan does the timing chain and gears have on a 2.8 V6 that has been taken care of? I'm looking at replacing the crank seal in the front cover along with belts, hoses and water pump. This engine only has 110 k miles and I figure as long as I'm in there, would it make sense to.. Before removing the timing chain, mark the RH/LH timing chain with an identification based on the location of the sprocket because the identification mark on the chain for TDC (Top Dead Center) can be erased. 3. Remove the oil pump chain cover (A). 4 The parts are Honda for the timing belt replacement work by the dealer. 95% the drives are short local trips about 10-15 miles. Will this timing belt last for another year which will get us to about 102K miles for this belt and 8 years? How long does the timing belt last? Is this years or miles? Or should we replace this belt soon

2007-2015 Mazda CX-9: engine, fuel economy, pros and cons

how long do timing chains last? Honda / Acura K20a K24a

When Should I Replace My Timing Chain

1. g belts that do the same job and these should be replaced at a periodic interval defined by the manufacturer. Chains are supposed to last the life of the car - but in the Prince N series engine (developed by PSA Peugeot Citroën and BMW) has Variable Valve Ti
  2. g chain and gear set replacement is between $1,224 and $1,450. Labor costs are estimated between $862 and $1,088 while parts are priced at $362. This range does not include taxes and fees, and does not factor in your specific model year or unique location. Related repairs may also be needed
  3. g chain replacement. The ti
  4. g chain are good for 300,000 miles; pretty much set for life. I have 156K miles on our 02 Camry have the ti
  5. g Chain 117-19 Ti

When I changed mine, it had a cheap aftermarket belt and I didn't know when it was done last. The water pump was done in 2002 and it had about 160k miles on it. There was evidence that a timing belt had broke in the past because the timing covers were full of cemented rubber dust and there were 3 or 4 ribs stuck in the bottom of it Had the dreaded timing chain tensioner failure occur last fall and had it repaired. The chain had jumped one tooth, causing check engine light for O2 lean bank 1. The repair consisted of all new timing chain set on both sides, all tensioners replaced, all tensioner guides replaced, and a new water pump/front gasket set

Symptoms of a Bad or Failing Timing Chain YourMechanic

I have a 2003 Toyota Camry Le 2Cayman Eco - Beyond Cayman Blackouts In Texas AndCayman Eco - Beyond Cayman How It Feels Living in a CityRuggedPCReview